Friday, December 2, 2016

Strange things about New Zealand

First, there are the sheep. Everywhere.


Even on this driving range.  Seriously, look at the sheep grazing near the yardage markers.  (I did not hit any of them.)


Second, everyone speaks English! So strange, because we are still speaking Spanish. We have been going around saying "hola" and "gracias", which prompts all kinds of strange looks.

Third, we can drink the water. How weird is that? Drinking fountains!



Last and coolest: Poste Restante. This is a nice blast from the past. We wrestled with how we should carry all the books that we would like to read, since none of us are enamored of e-readers. Before we left Hanover, I mailed myself books to the central post office in Auckland. That's how Poste Restante works, just like in the old days. The post office holds the books until I arrive. So yesterday, I just showed up in Auckland and presented my driver's license. There were the books that I had mailed from Hanover way back in late August. Even better, I have more books waiting in Tasmania and Mumbai!



1 comment: