Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Farewell Tess!

Tess Kuczun (Leah's niece) joined us for the first month of our trip. Yesterday, when we flew out of the Amazon to Lima, Tess returned to the U.S. (as planned). What a great travel companion! Tess was fun and resilient at every turn. One example: this amazing cave exploration, seven levels underground. When we came to water, it was time to wade in.


And what happened when the water got to deep to wade? We swam.


But wait, how did we get seven levels below ground? First, we followed a trail marked with this sign.


Then we put on miner's helmets, because once you are more than 30 feet into the cave, it's pitch black.


We started climbing down, suppressing the claustrophobia.  Remember, seven levels. And THEN we hit the underwater river.



Tess, the taxis may be less crowded without you, but we'll miss your sense of adventure, your Spanish language skills, and your all around great companionship.  We hope the transition back to school is not too rough!
















WE'LL MISS YOU!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you Wheelan family for being such AMAZING hosts to our daughter!

    She continues to regale stories of this great trip! Tess so very much enjoyed the company she was with, and appreciated how well everyone got along. And, no suprise, apparently you all have a great sense of humor and know the value of good food.

    You were super generous to take on the responsibility of having Tess join you! Thank you!

    We'll be sending on an exit survey soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wheelan Family,
    I am so sorry it has taken me so long to respond to this awesome blog post - I have just been really busy catching up with school and such (though the transition has been a lot less rough than I would have thought). Ether way I just wanted to say thank you all for this very sweet post, but more importantly for letting me travel along with you! I had such an amazing experience and will most defiantly alway remember my time with you! I loved your company and all the great adventures we shared! I really can not even begin to explain how grateful I am for this trip... and how much I miss you all already! Thank you guys so much and I hope that you continue to have great travels during the rest of your 9 months!
    MISS YOU ALL!

    ReplyDelete