Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Ft. Lauderdale, FL

After nearly a week in Chicago (thank you Mom and Dad Wheelan), we've arrived in Ft. Lauderdale. Tomorrow is the Jet Blue flight to Cartagena. Chicago was a constant process of pruning luggage while simultaneously running to REI to buy last minute items. At long last, we are down to one bag each (plus carry on).

On the flight I finally finished the biography of Nelson Rockefeller, On His Own Terms. This was a triumph, not merely because it was a good book but because it was a huge, heavy hardback. I was eagerly preparing to leave it at the hotel when I realized my copy was signed by the author, Richard Norton Smith. Darn. I had to FedEx it back to Hanover. Now I have to make the case to Leah that this is not a trip-related expense. She is the budget czar. I am the king of Enron-like travel accounting to move expenses off budget.

Next book: Sinclair Lewis's It Can't Happen Here. It may have been published in 1935, but the book so eerily describes the Trump phenomenon that it's almost breathtaking at times.

1 comment:

  1. Creative accounting at its best!...

    What was the slogan in the 30s that crystallized the opposition to the war and sympathy with Nazi ideology? Yes that's right! "America First"...



    ReplyDelete